114 - باب بيان جواز الشرب قائما وبيان أن الأكمل والأفضل الشرب قاعدا
Permission to Drink while in a standing Posture
فيه حديث كبشة السابق ( انظر الحديث رقم 761 )
767 - وعن ابن عباس رضي الله عنه قال : سقيت النبي صلى الله عليه و سلم من زمزم فشرب وهو قائم . متفق عليه
767. Ibn `Abbas (May Allah be pleased with them) reported: I served Messenger of Allah (PBUH) Zamzam water to drink and he drank it while he was standing.
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].
768 - وعن النزال بن سبرة رضي الله عنه قال : أتى علي رضي الله عنه باب الحبة فشرب قائما وقال : إني رأيت رسول الله صلى الله عليه و سلم فعل كما رأيتموني فعلت . رواه البخاري
768. An-Nazzal bin Sabrah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: `Ali bin Abu Talib (May Allah be pleased with him) arrived at Bab Ar-Rahbah (in Kufah) and drank water in a standing posture. Then he said: "I saw Messenger of Allah (PBUH) doing what you have seen me doing.)
769 - وعن ابن عمر رضي الله عنهما قال : كنا نأكل على عهد رسول الله صلى الله عليه و سلم ونحن نمشي ونشرب ونحن قيام . رواه الترمذي وقال حديث حسن صحيح
769. Ibn `Umar (May Allah be pleased with them) reported: During the lifetime of Messenger of Allah (PBUH) we would eat while walking and would drink while standing.
Commentary: The Companions would not habitually eat something while being on the move and drink water in a standing position. In fact, the Hadith simply tells us that these were some moments in their life when they did so. The Ahadith that follow show that drinking in a standing posture is deprecated.
770 - وعن عمرو بن شعيب عن أبيه عن جده رضي الله عنه قال : رأيت رسول الله صلى الله عليه و سلم يشرب قائما وقاعدا . رواه الترمذي وقال حديث حسن صحيح
770. `Amr bin Shu`aib on the authority of his father and grandfather reported: that they saw Messenger of Allah (PBUH) drink standing, and sitting.
The last three Ahadith point out the permissibility of eating and drinking while walking or standing or sitting, but drinking in the sitting position remains the best.
771 - وعن أنس رضي الله عنه عن النبي صلى الله عليه و سلم أنه نهى أن يشرب الرجل قائما
قال قتادة : فقلنا لأنس : فالأكل ؟ قال : ذلك - أشر وأخبث - رواه مسلم
771. Anas (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Prophet (PBUH) forbade us from drinking while standing. Qatadah reported: "We asked him: `What about eating?)' He said: "That is even worse, (or may be he said) more detestable.)
Another narration is: Messenger of Allah (PBUH) reprimanded us for drinking while standing.
772 - وعن أبي هريرة رضي الله عنه قال : قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه و سلم [ لا يشربن أحد منكم قائما فمن نسي فليستقئ ] رواه مسلم
772. Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "None of you should drink standing; and if any one forgets, he must vomit.)
Commentary: In the preceding Ahadith, we are told that one can drink water even in a standing position, it is better to eat or drink while seated in order to be on the safe side. Otherwise, the truth of the matter is that one should be cautious enough to eat or drink seated. Doubtless, it is an approved practice. Nowadays, people have made it a habit to eat food at feasts in a standing posture. They argue it is convenient because the whole of the gathering is dealt out at the same time. Yet, they fail to keep in their view the overwhelming disadvantages of this convenience. First, it involves the emulation of western example without any benefit. Second, the Prophet (PBUH) has forbidden it. Third, the indiscipline it spawns hardly befits the social behaviour of a dignified and civilized nation. Fourth, a long wait, tedious and boring normally features feasts and wedding parties. Fifth, in order to make it agreeable and to do away with the boredom of participants, either film songs or musical notes are played on record-players, or jesters and buffoons are brought in to amuse and entertain them. This is all satanic work, forbidden and unlawful, having no place in Islam
115 - باب استحباب كون ساقي القوم آخرهم شربا
Excellence of Cupbearer drinking Last